Thursday 31 July 2014

What I'm Watching

What with my graduation, the weekend in Brighton and all the catching-up with friends and family that comes with returning from uni, I've had a pretty busy time of it lately. There I was, plodding along, thinking my M.E was behaving itself incredibly well and coping with all I was throwing at it far better than I could have hoped. Then bam. Turns out it wasn't coping too well after all and the post external malaise has hit me pretty hard this week (if you're lucky enough to not know what this is, then check out my post on the symptoms of M.E here for a little heads up). If you're a fellow spoonie then you'll know just how gutting this can be. Though we're used it, every time the dreaded PEM hits it feels like a million steps back along the road to recovery. And to be honest with you, I'm really pretty bad at coping with it. Yes, I try to push through though I know I shouldn't, I cry though it just makes me more exhausted and I fret that I'll never ever feel any better... so much for the positive attitude, eh. 

But ultimately, eventually I give in. After a good talking to from my boyfriend or mummy I manage to get myself back on the positive bandwagon wagon and see each episode of PEM as a simple blimp along my long and bumpy journey. So what's a girl to do when she can hardly get out of bed? Why! Sign up for a Netflix account of course! So while I've been holed up in bed with some chocolate and a fan, I've spent my week catching up with some of my best loved shows. These are some of mine, what are some of yours?

Modern Family 

Image from: www.teckler.com

I started watching this a while ago on my mum's recommendation, and within a week or two I'd completed the whole five series. It's. That. Good. It's just your typical American sitcom, focussed on a slightly less typical 'modern' family, but it's utterly brilliant. Filmed a mocumentary style, not only do we see the unfolding action but we also get to really know the characters through the interviews they do throughout. Everyone's got a favourite character- whether it's the secretly soft patriarch, the camp-but-manly uncle or the sharp and witty four year old. Personally, I'm a fan of Phil- how can you not love a character with his own 'phils-osophy'. Comedic and emotional it really is a must watch.



Friday Night Dinner


Yes, that is Simon Bird who plays Will in The Inbetweeners, and yes, he is playing essentially the same character, but don't let that for a second put you off giving this a watch. We're coming back over the pond for this somewhat classically British sitcom- think a clever, modern mixture of The Inbetweeners and The Royle Family. Focussed on the weekly Friday night dinners of a Jewish family, this show is guaranteed to have you laughing, more often than not at the socially awkward neighbour afraid of is own dog.


Pretty Little Liars


Quite possibly the most infuriating series in the history of television. Nevertheless, I still watch every new episode as soon as it comes out. It can be a little creepy, a little weird and the characters make A LOT of bad decisions. But if you want something to rant about with your friends, there really is nothing better. 


Gossip Girl 


I've been a GG fan since it hit our screens in 2007 (2007!) and I'll admit, I was left with a slight hole in my life when it ended in 2012. So now, in my current PEM state I'm watching it all over again, for one simple reason...Was there ever a better love story than that of Chuck and Blair? No. No there was not. This show will make you wish you were rich, beautiful and lived in New York's Upper East Side, and you'll love it. Get sucked into their elite world of parties, brunches and drama and be prepared to be a little shocked when Gossip Girls true identity is revealed. As an added bonus, the men are all gorgeous. I mean, like, really. After seven years I'm still undecided on my favourite... Nate's handsome looks, or Chuck's bad boy persona- it's a tricky one.


Friends


Never have truer words been sung than 'I'll be there for youuuuu'. Yes I've seen every episode more than I can count, but it never gets old. I know I can count on Monica, Rachel, Ross, Chandler, Phoebe and Joey to cheer me up when I'm feeling down. 



Alice

x

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you haven't been feeling too well, I hope your back up and running in no time! I am a huge modem family fan, that show cheers me up whenever I'm not feeling to good. I can not decide who my favourite character is they are all pretty good! Game of thrones is a good series or Orange is the new Black! Sending you spoons!

    Lennae xxx
    www.lennae87.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard such good things about Orange is the New Black, I've been meaning to give it a go for ages but my boyfriend insists I wait for him so we can watch it together! Hope you're well :) xxx

    ReplyDelete